Controversial treatments can also be evidence based. There is debate in the field of ABA surrounding treatments involving guided compliance and extinction, particularly attention extinction and escape extinction. Some behavior analysts are quick to jump to these interventions, not fully considering how the side effects will impact the client. These interventions can be aversive and arguably considered punishment.
- Conduct a search for information on one of the following aversive procedures: guided (forced) compliance, attention extinction, and escape extinction. Cite the source and describe the treatment.
- Prepare 34 pro statements that might be given to support the use of the treatment. Also, prepare 34 con statements that might be given to oppose the treatment.
- Evaluate your findings. Discuss at least four relevant ethics codes that you have learned in this course thus far.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines. Review the Evidence and APA section of the Writing Center for more information on how to cite your sources.
- Resources: 24 recent scholarly or professional resources.
- Length: 34 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and a references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Bailey, J. S., & Burch, M. R. (2016). Ethics for behavior analysts (3rd ed.). Routledge.
- Chapter 11, “Behavior Analysts’ Ethical Responsibility to the Profession of Behavior Analysis (6.0),” pages 155164.
- Chapter 12, “Behavior Analysts’ Ethical Responsibility to Colleagues (Code 7.0),” pages 165176.
- Brodhead, M. T., Cox, D. J., & Quigley, S. P. (2018). Practical ethics for effective treatment of autism spectrum disorder. Academic Press.
- Chapter 3, “Creating Behavioral Systems to Support Ethical Behavior in Autism Treatment.”
- Conners, B. M., & Capell, S. T. (2021). Multiculturalism and diversity in applied behavior analysis: Bridging theory and application. Routledge.
- Chapter 11, Creating a Culturally Competent Clinical Practice, pages 122134.
Review both the current and new (January 2022) versions of the BACB ethics codes.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board. (2019). Professional and ethical compliance code for behavior analysts [PDF]. https://www.bacb.com/
- 6: Behavior Analysts Ethical Responsibility to the Profession of Behavior Analysts.
- 7: Behavior Analysts Ethical Responsibility to Colleagues.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board. (2020). Ethics code for behavior analysts [PDF]. https://www.bacb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Ethics-Code-for-Behavior-Analysts-210106.pdf
- Section 4 Responsibility to Supervisees and Trainees.
- Behavior Analysts Certification Board. (2021). Crosswalk for behavior analyst ethics codes [PDF]. https://www.bacb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/ethics-cross-walk-210407.pdf